The VA Benefit can pay for rent in an independent living community
Let us help you qualify for an extra $1,936/month as a wartime Veteran.
VA Aide and Attendance (A&A) Benefit
The ‘Aide and Attendance’ program provides extra payments to qualified Veterans who live in a ‘protected environment’ like Camino. You can use the VA payment to cover safety, rent, and meals at Camino, letting you keep the money you currently pay for housing and food.
We are working with Patriot Angels, a non-profit organization whose sole mission is to help Veterans qualify for this benefit.
You served. Let us serve you.
Vietnam Veterans and spouses are now potentially eligible for care assistance.
Who is Eligible?
1. Veteran over 65, who served during war time, with honorable discharge (no flexibility).
2. Surviving spouse, married to the qualified Veteran at the time of death (no flexibility).
3. Needs some care assistance, or a protected living environment (some flexibility).
4. Household income of less than $2,100/month single or $2,500 couple after care costs (some flexibility).
5. Assets less than $123,000, excluding home value and personal property (some flexibility).
6. Must not be receiving a benefit for wounds suffered during service (some flexibility).
Patriot Angel Role:
1. Patriot Angels will do a free ‘initial evaluation’ to see if you qualify for this benefit.
2. They will help you identify and collect all the documentation needed for a formal application.
3. They will review your documentation to confirm eligibility, and organize to support VA approval.
4. Only if the documentation supports your eligibility, Patriot Angels will charge a one-time fee of $795 for a pre-filing consultation and Long Term Care Assessment with VA accredited attorney before submitting your application to the VA, and follow the process until a benefit is awarded.
Camino Retirement Role:
Camino Retirement qualifies as a protected living environment with support services that include 24-hour staffed emergency call on site, meal planning and preparation, housekeeping for a clean and healthy living environment, and transportation to medical appointments. These services can meet the basic requirements of the VA program, and qualify for use of the new funds provided directly to the veteran. Residing at Camino will help your application meet the qualifications and review by the VA.
If assistance needs are higher or increase over time, higher-level care needs can be accommodated in your same apartment via Camino’s assisted living program.
CALL PATRIOT ANGELS
Erin Walker, Community Relations Manager
In a week, Erin will complete a preliminary screen to see if you qualify, and if so, will connect you with other Patriot Angels staff to continue collecting and evaluating additional documentation required. The VA review process can take 3-4 months after the formal application is completed.
The VA benefit will be back-dated, effective to the date of submission. If your application is submitted on January 1 and approved on April 1, you will receive the benefit back-dated to January 1. Click for more on Patriot Angels.
To get the VA application process started at Camino Retirement:
Call us at: